Connect People to Plants as a Conservatory Ambassador
The Conservatory requests that volunteers commit to two shifts per month for one year. Most shifts are 2-3 hours long. In return, the Conservatory offers free lectures and social events and a discount in the gift shop. All volunteers are required to meet with the Director of Volunteers & Education, complete an application at that meeting, and attend a training. Trainings vary from an hour-long session for Horticulture, Greeter, and Special Exhibit volunteers, to seven 3-hour sessions, for Docents and Jungle Guides.
Available Volunteer Opportunities
- Docents educate adult visitors about the Conservatory's fascinating collection of tropical plants. Shifts are available Tuesday-Sunday. Learn about the summer training program.
- Jungle Guides introduce elementary school students to the wonders of the rainforest. Shifts are available Tuesday-Friday from 9:30-11:30 during the school year. Learn about the summer training program.
- Greeters welcome visitors, take tickets, and answer general questions. This is the perfect opportunity if you enjoy chatting with people from all over the world and want to spend time in a beautiful living museum without needing to learn about the plants. Shifts are 10:00-1:00 or 1:00-4:00 on Tuesday-Sunday.
- Special Exhibit Docents educate visitors on the plants and features of the current special exhibit. Shifts are 10:00-1:00 or 1:00-4:00 Tuesday-Sunday.
- Horticulture volunteers come in on Mondays to help with pest management, water and clean the galleries, and install exhibits. Please note that horticulture volunteers seldom work with the plant collections and are asked to help with "heavy lifting". The Conservatory is not able to take on summer horticulture volunteers or summer horticulture interns.
- Conservatory Clean-Up volunteers are needed from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. on the first Saturday of every month to help weed the grounds, scrub pots, and do other important tasks. Volunteers must schedule their clean-up shift in advance through Hands On Bay Area.
- Youth Volunteers High school volunteers who are at least 16 years old are invited to be Special Exhibit Docents begining in November of 2016 for the upcoming butterfly exhibit. Shifts are 10:00-1:00 or 1:00-4:00 Tuesday-Sunday.
To learn more and schedule a meeting at the Conservatory, contact Erika Frank, Director of Volunteers & Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 637-4326.