Connect People to Plants as a Conservatory Ambassador
The Conservatory requests that volunteers commit to two shifts per month for one year. Most shifts are 2-3 hours long. In return, the Conservatory offers a flexible schedule, free lectures and social events, and a discount in the gift shop. All volunteers are required to meet with the Director of Volunteer Services, complete an application at that meeting, and attend a training program. Trainings vary from an hour-long session for Horticulture, Greeter and Special Exhibit volunteers, to seven 3-hour sessions, for Docents and Jungle Guides.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Weekend Greeters welcome visitors, take tickets, and answer general questions. This is the perfect opportunity if you enjoy chatting with people from all over the world and want to spend time in a beautiful living museum without needing to learn about the plants. Shifts are 10:00-1:00 or 1:00-4:00 on Saturday and Sunday.
- Special Exhibit Docents educate visitors on the plants and features of the current special exhibit. Shifts are 10:00-1:00 or 1:00-4:00 Tuesday-Sunday.
- Nursery volunteers work directly with our Nursery Specialists, usually on Mondays, to control pests, clean the galleries, and install exhibits. Some Nursery volunteers help maintain plant collections based on their horticultural experience and experience at the Conservatory.
- Conservatory Clean-Up volunteers are needed from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. on the last Saturday of every month to help weed the grounds, scrub pots, and do other important tasks. Volunteers must schedule their shift in advance. No dropins please.
- Jungle Guides introduce elementary school students to the wonders of the rainforest. Tours are held Tuesday‐Friday from September through May at 10:00 a.m. and cover plant adaptations and tropical ecosystems.
- Docents educate adult visitors about the Conservatory’s fascinating collection of tropical plants and the importance of conserving the rainforest and San Francisco’s stunning historic greenhouse. Docent tours are offered Tuesday‐Sunday at 11:00, 12:30, and 2:30.
To learn more and schedule a meeting at the Conservatory contact Erika Frank, Director of Volunteers & Education, at email@example.com or (415) 637-4326.
Volunteer Training Materials
Click on each link to download the section. Some of the files are a large size, so they may take longer to download.