PRESS

The Conservatory makes pictures and detailed information about its history, collections, and special exhibits available to the press. Browse our online press page or contact us directly for more information.

Conservatory of Flowers Historical Timeline

<< Back to Archive

Fact Sheet

1876

San Jose businessman James Lick passes away. The Conservatory, still in crates, is found among his effects.

1877

Prominent SF businessmen purchase Conservatory from Lick's estate and offer as gift to the Park Commission.

1878-1879

The Conservatory is erected in Golden Gate Park.

1879

Conservatory of Flowers opens to the public.

1883

The boiler explodes and the main dome catches fire and is completely destroyed.

1883

Charles Crocker donates funds to restore the Conservatory's dome.

1906

Conservatory survives the earthquake intact.

1918

Fire again damages dome and adjoining potting room.

1933

Structural instability causes the Park Commission to close the Conservatory.

1946

The Conservatory is repainted, reglazed and reopened to the public.

1962

A catwalk and ladders are added to the main dome.

1964

Much of the dome is repaired with pressure-treated redwood.

1978

Major repairs to deteriorated dome woodwork, distinct from 1964 work.

1995

Conservatory closes due to severe windstorm damage in early December.